Terms of reference
Assaults on emergency services workers
The Sentencing Council is to review the sentencing for offences involving assaults on police officers, correctional staff, youth justice officers, emergency services workers and health workers and make recommendations for any reform it considers appropriate.
In undertaking the review, the Sentencing Council should consider:
- Recent trends in assaults on these workers and in sentencing decisions;
- Characteristics of offenders, including characteristics of reoffending offenders;
- Sentencing options to deter this behaviour;
- Sentencing options to reduce reoffending;
- A comparison of NSW sentencing decisions for assaults on these workers with equivalent sentencing decisions in other Australian jurisdictions;
- A comparison of NSW sentencing decisions for assaults on these workers with equivalent sentencing decisions for assaults generally;
- Sentencing principles applied by NSW courts; and
- Any other matter the Council considers relevant.
[Received 27 July 2020]